City of Owatonna Public Utilities
Owatonna Public Utilities offers electric, gas and water services to parts of the city.
Additional Service Providers
- Electric Services: Where you live in the community determines which company provides your electric service.
- Gas Services: Owatonna Public Utilities provides natural gas service along with Minnegasco.
- Water Services: Owatonna Public Utilities provides domestic water service. All water in the OPU system is well water, it is pumped from the Jordan Aquifers located under the city.
- Environmental Services: Steel County Landfill, Steel County Residential Recycling and the Owatonna Compost Site offer recycling services to the public.
- Sewer Services: Rates and charges for domestic wastewater disposal service shall be $2.72 per 100 cubic feet of the average amount of water billed in the months of December, January, and February and billed starting in March and each subsequent month of the year at that calculated amount for residential customers. Commercial, Light SIU and Heavy SIU shall be billed on actual water use monthly. To each statement, each month shall be added a service charge These fees help to pay for the operation and maintenance as well as some of the capital costs of maintaining the city sewer system. OPU bills for sewer service.
- Street Lights: OPU installs and maintains streetlights in Owatonna based on requests from the City Council. Spacing is based on traffic volume and development density along with other factors. Requests for lights should be made through the City Administrators Office.